Online marketing today is super competitive. If you want your online business to thrive, you have to come up with ways to gain an advantage over your rivals. From the social media market to search engine optimisation, there are several ways in which you can create and spread awareness about your business on the internet. One such way is conversion tracking which mainly involves keeping track of the interactions customers have after views your ads online. Whether they made a purchase, signed to your newsletter or even called for more information; any action a customer completes that is of value to your business is considered to be a conversion.
How Does Conversion Tracking Work?
For you to monitor a customer’s activities, you will require specific tools. We will discuss two tracking tools that are commonly used to do this; Facebook Pixel and LinkedIn Insight Tag. Facebook Pixel is a code you add to your website which will help you keep track of conversions from your Facebook ads. The LinkedIn Insight Tag helps keep track of conversions on your text ads and sponsored content on LinkedIn. Using these tools, you can track conversion and based on this data optimise your ads to reach your target audience.
Types of Conversions
Before you can start tracking conversions on your website, you will have to specify the conversions you want to track. Each tool has some already specified conversions you can track. These are called standard events. If the kind of conversion you are looking for is not specified, you can customise it. This is called a custom event.
Standard events include conversions such as;
- View Content – takes effect when someone views a page on your website.
- Search – takes effect when someone uses the search bar on your site to look for specific content.
- Add to wishlist – takes effect when someone adds a product to the wishlist on your site.
- Initiate Checkout – when someone starts the purchase process on your site.
- Add Payment Info – when someone adds their payment info when purchasing your site and so many more.
Custom events are almost similar except they require a specification. For example, if you only want to track the views of content on a particular webpage.
How to use the LinkedIn Insight Tag?
- First of all, you have to choose where you want to track your conversions. This should be your primary website. If you have other websites, you can also choose them separately.
- Create the conversion action. You can either use the standard conversion or customise your own.
- Add these conversions to a campaign from where you can now track them. A campaign is a means by which the customer will complete the set conversion action such as viewing an ad.
- Analyse your conversion performance using the built-in statistics in the conversion tracking tool.
How to use the Facebook Pixel
- First of all, you have to create a pixel from your Facebook Ads Manager. It is a really simple process that takes only a few minutes.
- After creating the pixel, you should name it. The name should represent your business and not the campaign you wish to run.
- Just like the LinkedIn Insight Tag, add the pixel as a code to your website. This happens by either copying and pasting the code into the source code of your website or using a tag or integration manager.
- Check whether your Facebook Pixel is working well to avoid any disappointments in future.
Why you should use these conversion tracking tools and their importance in marketing.
Conversion tracking is a sure way of getting to understand what exactly customers expect from your business. Using Facebook Pixel and LinkedIn Insight Tag, you will learn the keywords to build your website content. This will help you create and run effective campaigns such as ads which help in boosting your sales leads. These tools help to inform you on the number of customers interacting with your ads which helps in understanding how best to improve your ads which boosts business to customer sales leads. Conversion tracking helps you understand your target audience and also helps to optimise your campaigns based on the needs of these customers. Since the use of these conversion tracking tools is not common, it will give you an edge over your rivals.